How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Attorney
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 557
Experience:  Private practice
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In July 2010I bought my son a 2010 f.mustang and put both our

Customer Question

In July 2010I bought my son a 2010 f.mustang and put both our names in the title and registration. In 2012 he moved to Texas and was asked to register it in his name. I still hold the title but the license plate no has changed. I paid off the car in Sept 2015 but now I need to borrow money and make it as collateral. The bank is asking me to update the title to put new license plate no. Who should go to Dmv and which Dmv, Ca or Texas?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My name is***** will be happy to answer your question.

Is the license plate and registration still valid and your son drives and has possession of this vehicle?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
this car was reported to ca dmv as moved to Texas . My son has a valid registration and has changed license plates twice since then in Texas. He is still driving it and is still living in Texas.he said he registered it only in his name . The last registration he carried from Ca says my name or his name that is why he was able to register it on his name although I was never there in Texas. My problem now is how to go about updating this certificate of title. Do I send it to him to take care? How do I do it and we will still be both owners of the car?
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your follow up.Are you trying to obtain a title loan on this vehilce? Can you please clarify?