How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Attorney
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 102506
Experience:  Private practice
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter received a ticket in Georgia over

Customer Question

My daughter received a ticket for speeding in Georgia over 18 months ago. She failed to tell us and didn't appear. When she went to renew her license, she was denied. We finally found the municipality where the offense occurred and we paid it over 6 months ago, and have a notarized receipt. My daughter left for a study abroad and just returned to find out that it is still on her record. How do we get this offense off the national registry so she can get her license renewed here in California. Thanks! Ronnie
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) the site allows experts not participate in phone calls and I may or may not be able to participate in this feature.
I am sorry to hear about this situation.
Is there a WARRANT out for her arrest, or, not sure?
This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No warrant...there was a bench warrant but we called the municipality, got the amount and paid it. They sent a notarized receipt of payment and said they would clear it with the state, but after 7 months, it still appears on her record and she can't get her license renewed. We are getting the run around from california and Georgia. I know a few judges in Georgia (grew up there) and they research the DMV data base there and have no record of the we are stuck in no man's land...very frustrating.


Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.
Thank you.
Define runaround:
1) Has the municipality sent information to Georgia Department of Driver Services that the ticket is cleared?
2) Has the Georgia Department of Driver Services sent this information to CA?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Both claim they have, but we have no way of knowing except that there is no record in Ga, but still on the record in California

Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.
Thank you.
GA and CA share DMV records. If one of the states has the license suspended (as for an unpaid ticket), the other will to. The only way to clear it up is to pay the ticket/resolve the issue, and GA will lift the suspension and let CA know.
Also, I am guessing she paid for reinstatement in GA. IF NOT, then this may be the issue! See here. It can be done online for many cases including nonappearance/speeding. If this has not been done, it should be, as this may be the problem.
If this has been done and GA and CA are simply dancing around each other, I am afraid that the best, ***** ***** way is to retain counsel to thoroughly investigate and see where the issue IS. They will find it, and resolve it. It may simply need a hands on approach. Likely, it will not be that costly, at least. Worst case scenario - and unlikely - attorney will have to file a Writ of Mandamus with the DMV in GA to ask the Court to ORDER the DMV to send the proper into to CA.
Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.