How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received a notice saying I was "convicted of a traffic violatio

Customer Question

I received a notice saying I was "convicted of a traffic violation that Florida Statutes(###) ###-####requires a completion of a four hour Basic Driver Improvement course" and have till May 15, 2015. I have no idea what they are/were talking about. I have no violations that i can remember. Citation# : 02GPHDM. This came months ago ignored by me as everything I do is on line. I did not know my license was suspended till I opened another letter saying that it was suspended June 8, 2015. I am away for more than half the time and just found ou now doing bills. What do I do? I don't even know what it is for? I need a drivers license how can I get it back?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 years ago.
You will want to start by tracking down your citation. The citation number should be linked to a county courthouse, you can contact the court and use the citation number to locate information on the citation. Once you get this information it should help you identify whether this was an actual citation that you forgot about, or if it was something that was issued in error (this will help you proceed from there).Assuming it was something you forgot about, you may want to consider hiring a traffic law attorney (or a criminal defense attorney) to represent you as they can help get your citation rehabilitated and get your license back more quickly than you working on your own (they will be able to work with the courts and more quickly identify which forms need to be filed and what, if any, appearances need to be made, as well as appearing on your behalf to try to negotiate a resolution).If you are unable, or unwilling, to hire an attorney for this, you may need to be prepared to visit your local law library as some of this can become a little trickier (the court clerk can usually give you information on what fines you need to pay and give you a new court hearing, but depending on the specifics of your citation and case, you may need to file a motion with the court in order to get your license back - this often requires more than a simple form, but you can start with the court clerk, then go to your law library - there will be books called "practice guides" which often have templates you can use).If it is a matter of a mistaken identity (the court issued the citation against your driver's license in error), you can usually fix this error via declaration. The Court clerk will give you more instruction. This will require making an appearance in court, and you will have to file a motion/declaration with the court, but it is less complicated than the above process - again, hiring a lawyer will make the process quicker and easier, but it is not required.You can find local attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as;; or (I personally find to be the most user friendly).