SoloLawyer
SoloLawyer, Attorney
Experience:  I help clients deal with traffic tickets on a weekly basis.
18210975

Ray my 18 yr old son got a speeding ticket going 42 in a

Customer Question

Hi Ray my 18 yr old son got a speeding ticket going 42 in a 25, can he ask it to be reduced to a warnign if he keeps a clean driving record for the next 6 months. No prior tickets.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  SoloLawyer replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to assisting you today.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Ray, do you need any more
info? We are in Maryland...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
We are goign to court tomorrow and my son will petition the judge for a reduced fee and hopefully it to be turned into a warning if he keeps his driving record clean.. thoughts? how to present?
You can ask for anything, including a complete dismissal (which is basically what you suggested), but unfortunately, with 17 miles over the speed limit, it doesn't seem very probable.
The prosecutor may agree to reduce the speed over on the ticket so as to limit points on your son's license. Simply presenting his age and previous history along with his apology should be enough for the prosecutor to consider it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it is a downhill speed trap... do you have a script he should you while addressing the judge?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So talk to the prosecutor before the trail? How do you do that? We are scheduled for 9 AM
I see. Usually, the Judge will just ask whether he pleads not guilty or guilty, there won't be much else. Judge's usually don't care why someone was speeding since it is a defacto offense (doesn't matter the intent). However, if the Judge does want to hear from him, he should simply say that he didn't realize he was speeding. I wouldn't admit to being tired, not paying attention, trying to get somewhere, etc. Just didn't realize he was going so fast.
Actually, most of the time prosecutors aren't interested in talking. They just want to get through their docket. So, the best you can do is walk up to the before hand (before 9) and see if you could talk to him//her.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
He will do that, should i and how do we approach prosecutor before we need to the
judge?
Yes, you should speak to the prosecutor before hand if at all possible (not possible sometimes).
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, and if we can do we ask for a reduction or warning?
I've never seen a prosecutor drop a ticket at the trial date to a warning. So a reduction in speed in return for his guilty plea may be the best he can get.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK if we can ask for some type of reduction hopefully to a warning if he keeps driving history clean if if we can't do the same with the judge?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK and a drop in speed will do what if still considered speeding?
The best that will do is keep points off of his driving record. The less points miles the limit, the less points he will receive.
Sorry, I meant to say the less miles OVER the limit, the less points.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK well worth the effort... 1st offense... was hoping for warning but I understand what you are saying
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So what is realistic to expect on reduction if they do any at all?
I'm not familiar with Maryland's point system off the top of my head. Often it can be dropped just below the lowest tier so as to get as little points as possible.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK thanks, ***** ***** try to talk to prosecutor and then the judge asking for that... 1st offense.. reduced speed for violation... sounds like warning out of question
Ok great. Good luck! I hope he is able to work it out! If you valued my time, I'd love a positive review. I'll be happy to follow up until you're completely satisfied.Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will write one tomorrow if that works for you.. we have court at 9 AM, hopefully your advice helps in the process.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
where are you located btw?
It's up to you. Just remember we don't get credit for Answers until you accept/rate them (if you're satisfied, of course). I'm a MS attorney.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Will do, I will write one.. you have been helpful
Thanks. Take care.