How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 116772
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years of law and traffic law
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The party involved has this situation. In the 1980's he had

Customer Question

The party involved has this situation. In the 1980’s he had a license suspended for traffic tickets. He had a business and illegally parked and did not pay the fines. He Moved to Florida and had a Florida license for all these years. Moved back to NY and now wants to get a NY license. What will he have to do? He realizes he will have to pay the Traffic tickets. This happened before 1987. Can you consult me on what The next steps should be. I would like to know what to expect when I go to motor vehicle
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
He realizes he will have to pay the tickets, I'm not sure I understand what you mean the "next steps?"
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
when we go to motor vechicle what can we expect. His history is before 1987 and he had a Florida license for the past 20 something years with a clean record. Will they issue him a license, or because it was revoked will there be other complications.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
do they have records from 1987 and before? what can we expect?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your reply.
The first thing he has to do, if he had a valid FL license and they never had a hold on his renewals in FL, then it could be NY has not issued a suspension. The first thing you need to do is check with DMV and determine if there is a suspension on the license before you determine how to proceed.
Since 1987, if they are parking tickets, it is likely the city has no records on them, however they could have reported the non-payment to DMV before they destroyed the citations. Without knowing what NY DMV says first about his license,you have no way to know what to do next.
So the first step, go to NY DMV and apply for the license. If there is a hold, then DMV will give him a printout of where the tickets were issued that he must pay. Then he has to go to the court where the citations were issued, make payment, get proof of payment and bring it back to DMV and the clerk of the court will have to transmit proof of payment to DMV.