How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 116704
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years of law and traffic law
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My Father in Colorado is are giving a vehicle to his son in

Customer Question

My Father in Colorado is are giving a vehicle to his son in Virginia. Is there anything he needs to do either on the title or seperate notorized form that needs to go with him when he registers it in Virginia? Would he need to do a vin verification in Colorado? Or in Virginia. Also on the title should he enter "GIFT" or  just "0 dollars for the purchase price"?cancel this question as it is to late .....needed answer right away.


Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

You do not need a VIN verification in CO if he has the title to sign over to his son. Also the bill of sale would indicate that the vehicle is a gift to the buyer. Both parties sign the bill of sale. You need the bill of sale and the title from CO to bring to DMV. You would put "Gift/Donation" on the title.