How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SoloLawyer Your Own Question
SoloLawyer, Attorney
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 3461
Experience:  I help clients deal with traffic tickets on a weekly basis.
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
SoloLawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was arrested with a suspended license and no

Customer Question

I was arrested for driving with a suspended license and no insurance. It was not my vehicle and there was an insurance card in the vehicle. I did not know that my license was suspended (was 15 days out). It had been suspended due to missing 2 payments on the surcharge program. I WAS NOT read my miranda rights by the police officer. I am to appear in court and could face four months. I have made the late payments on the surcharge and have gotten insurance. This was my first arrest ever and have no duis, accidents. What should I do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  SoloLawyer replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to assisting you today. Since this is an informational site, I can't really tell you "what to do". I can give you as much info as possible. Regarding Miranda, they don't have to read you your rights unless they are going to use a confession you have made against you. That doesn't appear to be the case. Often, if you get insurance and can show it, the court will dismiss that type of ticket on the hearing date. As far as the driving on a suspended license goes, if your license was in fact suspended, you're guilty of the crime and can either ask for a hearing on it or plea guilty to it. These types of offenses don't usually carry jail time, i.e., the statute may provide for a jail sentence, but Judges rarely ever order them for something like this. If you go in and plea, it's likely you'll get a fine and go on your merry way. However, since there is the possibility of jail time, it's always best to at least speak to an attorney (in your area) that may know how the Judge/Prosecutor operate and who may or may not be able to get you a better "deal" or work out something in your favor. I hope this helps! If you valued my time, I'd love a positive review. I'll be happy to follow up until you're completely satisfied.Michael