Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

Traffic Law

What is the process of getting a car I am buying used from

Customer Question
someone into my name so...
What is the process of getting a car I am buying used from someone into my name so I can start driving it?
He has the title and I will pay him cash. SHould we go to the DMV together (me and the seller)?
All I have to prove my residency to DMV so far in my state is an apartment lease.
Also, will I have to get insurance on the car before?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Traffic Law
6/29/2015
Traffic Lawyer: Sineserton,
 replied 2 years ago
Sineserton
Hi there and welcome to JustAnswer! My name is ***** ***** it is my pleasure to help you with your question. I have over 20 years experience researching the internet. I work in Healthcare as a General Manager. I have my Master's degree in Psychology, Bachelor's in Human Service Management, and my Associates in Criminal Justice. I am an Ordained Minister and also a Notary Public.What state do you live in?
Traffic Lawyer: Sineserton,
 replied 2 years ago
One you have found a vehicle and agreed on a price. You will need to get the title of the vehicle in your name. This can be done by visiting your local Title Office. As soon as the title is in your name, you need to purchase insurance for the vehicle. Have your automobiles Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) ready so the insurance company can give you an accurate quote and premium.
Traffic Lawyer: Sineserton,
 replied 2 years ago
After that is completed, go to the local DMV and get tags for the vehicle.
Traffic Lawyer: Sineserton,
 replied 2 years ago
At this time, you should be all set enjoying your new automobile.
Traffic Lawyer: Sineserton,
 replied 2 years ago
I hope this is helpful. If you have more follow up questions please let me know. It is never a problem. I will go above and beyond to make sure you are 100% satisfied! Please don’t forget to rate my answer as good or above so I get credit. Thank you and God Bless!

So no need to Go to the dmv at all?

Traffic Lawyer: Sineserton,
 replied 2 years ago
You will need to go to the DMV for registration/tags!

i see. I am currently living in NY.
-How long does each process take? I wonder if I buy it tomorrow when I would be driving it.

-What would be an exaple of a title office in NY?
-ALso at the DMV is just an apartment lease enough for them to give me the tag?

THanks

Traffic Lawyer: Sineserton,
 replied 2 years ago
What city are you in? I can give you the address of the closest one to you. What does an apartment lease have to do with purchasing a car?

NYC or Astoria.
To buy the tags at the DMV they wont ask for proof that I live in that state?

Traffic Lawyer: Sineserton,
 replied 2 years ago
They will ask you for your drivers license!
Here is a link to all the information you will need.
http://dmv.ny.gov/forms/mv821.pdf

I will wait for the link for the tittle offie. THank you very much.
Also, will I need to get it inspected? Because you had mentioned it.

Also how long does it take ? WIll I be allowed to drive it the same day?

Traffic Lawyer: Sineserton,
 replied 2 years ago
Here is all the contact information:
http://dmv.ny.gov/contact-us/dmv-phone-numbers
One should be able to get all of this done in 1 hour. Yes you should be driving the same day!
Traffic Lawyer: Sineserton,
 replied 2 years ago
Have a wonderful night and thank you kindly for using JustAnswer.com

Sir, I just need to know where to change the title.
ALso if I need to get it inspected

Traffic Lawyer: Sineserton,
 replied 2 years ago
What is your Zip Code?
Traffic Lawyer: Sineserton,
 replied 2 years ago
Zip Code please! I want to direct you to the closest place!
Traffic Lawyer: Sineserton,
 replied 2 years ago
Anyone of these locations will work. You can complete all the tasks at one spot!
LOWER MANHATTAN - GREENWICH ST. NEW YORK***** New York, NY 10004
LICENSE EXPRESS - NEW YORK 145 West 30th Street, New York, NY 10001
MIDTOWN MANHATTAN - NEW YORK 366 West 31st Street, New York, NY 10001
HARLEM - NEW YORK 159 East 125th Street, 3rd Floor, New York, NY 10035
Thank you kindly!
Traffic Lawyer: Sineserton,
 replied 2 years ago
Please rate my answer as good or better so I will get credit! Thank you!

Hi Krist. I will rate you positively. But the thing is that I am confused. You never mentioned the inspection, but I see on the link you sent me that I need to get that done also.
Also the link you sent me says to get the tittles it needs to be done at the DMV and it does not mention abything about getting tags there.
I do not mean to be difficult but I am confused

Traffic Lawyer: Sineserton,
 replied 2 years ago
You can get the inspection at the DMV. If you are buying the vehicle from a person in New York an inspection will not be required!

Hey Krist. I dont get why you dont answer all the questions at once. Thats why I havent rated yet : )

Traffic Lawyer: Sineserton,
 replied 2 years ago
Thank you for allowing me to help you in your time of need. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future for any information you may be needing. God bless!

Ahn???

Traffic Lawyer: Sineserton,
 replied 2 years ago
Everything should be answered.You can get the title work, inspection, and tags/registration here:LOWER MANHATTAN - GREENWICH ST. NEW YORK***** New York, NY 10004LICENSE EXPRESS - NEW YORK 145 West 30th Street, New York, NY 10001MIDTOWN MANHATTAN - NEW YORK 366 West 31st Street, New York, NY 10001HARLEM - NEW YORK 159 East 125th Street, 3rd Floor, New York, NY 10035
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Can someone offer me an additional servto explain to me over the phone how to register a car in my name that used to belong to someone else?
Traffic Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I am a different contributor and look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

The process is not that complex, the previous expert explained this to you. You need a title and bill of sale and here are the instructions straight from DMV: http://dmv.ny.gov/registration/buy-or-sell-vehicle-transfer-ownership. the person you are buying from has to give you a bill of sale which you both sign. The person also has to provide you a title that is in their name and it has to be signed and notarized and that is what is presented to the title company and they will be able to register.

Also see: http://dmv.ny.gov/forms/mv821.pdf
which is the form to register the vehicle and obtain plates. You can avoid all of that by going to a tile companies you were told above.

As far as the vehicle inspection, after purchase you must have it inspected and obtain an inspection sticker.

I would suggest, since you have no recourse in buying a used car if there are any hidden defects, that you bring the car to your own mechanic first BEFORE buying for them to look at the car and make sure it is not defective or is in good shape.

Hi law educator. May you offer me an additional service? We can talk on the phone for like 15 min so I can ask you a few questions about this

Thanks

P { margin-bottom: 0.08in; }

Thank you for your reply.

I apologize but live phone calls, unlike in other sections on JustAnswer.com, can be deemed practice of law which is forbidden by state laws as we do not and cannot represent you in any legal matter. I would be happy to continue with you in this forum if you would like to use reply. Thank you for understanding.

If you would like to go to email, we can do that for an additional fee, if not I can actually most times answer your concerns right here.

But I have gotten advice over the phone from just answers lawyers : (

Sorry, I will opt out and if some other attorney wishes to risk their license on unauthorized practice of law, I will defer to them. I am not willing to take that risk and thank you for understanding.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney