Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

Could you help me understand how law uses word HIGHWAY in this…

Customer Question
Could you help me understand...
Could you help me understand how law uses word HIGHWAY in this context?
S 1201. Stopping, standing, or parking outside of business or
residence districts. (a) Upon any highway outside of a business or
residence district no person shall stop, park, or leave standing any
vehicle, whether attended or unattended, upon the paved or main-traveled
part of the highway when it is practicable to stop, park, or so leave
such vehicle off such part of said highway, but in every event an
unobstructed width of the highway opposite a standing vehicle shall be
left for the free passage of other vehicles and a clear view of such
stopped vehicles shall be available from a distance of two hundred feet
in each direction upon such highway.
In American law, the word "highway" is sometimes used to denote any public way used for travel, whether major highway, freeway, turnpike, street, lane, alley, pathway, dirt track, footpaths, and trails, and navigable waterways;[4] however, in practical and useful meaning, a "highway" is a major and significant, well-constructed road that is capable of carrying reasonably heavy to extremely heavy traffic.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Traffic Law
6/27/2015
Traffic Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Attorney replied 2 years ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Attorney
My name is ***** ***** I am an experienced New York criminal lawyer.
Definitions of legal terms are state specific and are provided in a section of the statutes themselves. If the word is not defined in the statute's definition section, then the ordinary use of the word applies.
New York defines "highway" in Article 1 Section 118 of its Vehicle and Traffic Law:
"The entire width between the boundary lines of every way publicly maintained when any part thereof is open to the use of the public for purposes of vehicular travel."
__
So, essentially, every public road would be considered a highway.
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Attorney