Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

To whomever is reading,I received a "Uniform Traffic Ticket"

Customer Question
To whomever is reading, I received...
To whomever is reading,
I received a "Uniform Traffic Ticket" for Entering Closed Property a couple days ago and it was checked off as a "TR Inf," which means if I remember correctly, a Traffic Infraction. My friend who is a police officer said the ticket is just a fine, so instead of going to court, I was planning on just sending in the ticket and pleading guilty and paying the fine. If I do so, how long would it take the court to send back an amount for the fine? And if you know, how much is the fine for such offense typically?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Traffic Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/26/2015
Traffic Lawyer: CalAttorney2, Attorney replied 3 years ago
CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
The New York DMV actually has a fairly comprehensive article on how to deal with traffic infractions (including a good overview of the process and expected timeframe): http://dmv.ny.gov/brochure/traffic-violations-bureau and http://dmv.ny.gov/tickets/looking-traffic-ticket-informationUnfortunately I do not have a good ballpark for the fines (NY does not have a fee schedule like some other states do - for example, CA has a strict fee schedule that applies statewide so that you can simply look up your violation by statute and it will give you the fine amount (it isn't quite that simple, you have to then add additional court fees, fines, and assessments to the base fee amount, but you can identify your fine).Generally these types of traffic violations are not significant fines (this article gives you an idea of the spread for these types of citations: http://nytrafficticket.com/how-much-does-a-new-york-speeding-ticket-cost/ - the article is specific to speeding citations, but it will give you a good ballpark).