Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

I bought a small fishing boat in Canada and all I have is the…

Customer Question
I bought a small fishing...
I bought a small fishing boat in Canada and all I have is the bill of sale, no title. How can I get it titled to me here in Ohio?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Traffic Law
Answered in 1 day by:
6/23/2015
Traffic Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 3 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Do you have the US Customs documentation for bringing the boat into the US? In order to register it in the US, you will need at least the bill of sale and the US Customs import documents for bringing it into the US.

There were no customs documents. I crossed into the states at thhe Peace Bridge. I informed the officer that I had purchased the used boat in Ontario, and showed him the bill of sale. I at least expected to have to pay a customs fee. However, there was no fee, and I was permitted to return to the US. So, all I have is the hand written bill of sale for the amount of $400. Please advise further.

Thank you for your reply.

You need to comply with the requirements stated at https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1184/~/importing-a-boat-for-personal-use-into-the-u.s.

Once you do that, if you cannot get the owner to give you the title or they do not have a title on this type of boat in Canada, then you need to take all of your documentation of your bill of sale and your US Customs documentation to register the boat. If no title exists in Canada, by Canadian law, then you need to provide that proof upon registration. If there is a title in Canada, you are going to have get the title from the previous owner or they have to get duplicate title in Canada for you or you would not be able to register it here.