Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

Traffic Law

Can a suit be brought against a DMV employee's slander

Customer Question
Can a suit be brought...
Can a suit be brought against a DMV for an employee's slander behavior?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Traffic Law
6/21/2015
Traffic Lawyer: Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.
To answer directly, most likely the answer would be 'probably not'. Here is why:
Most governmental agencies and entities enjoy limited governmental immunity from civil suits. As such, filing suit against the agency can be tough as the agency has to be notified first of the intent of suit, and consent to the suit grounds by finding merit. In essence the agency has to agree to be permitted to be sued. That cuts down on potential suits. As far as 'defamation' or 'slander' claims, unless the employer told the employee to make such claims, the employee is acting on her own, so the employee might be liable but the employer will not be. You can still attempt to file suit but the chances here are very very low that it will be accepted and that you will prevail directly against the DMV.
Sincerely,
Dimitry, Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney