How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel-II Your Own Question
Samuel-II, Attorney
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  I have been handling minor traffic offenses for more than 20 years.
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Samuel-II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have recently moved from Pennsylvania state to

Customer Question

Hello ,
I have recently moved from Pennsylvania state to Massachusetts state recently , I have a question regarding changing my car registration . Should i pay again sales tax here or just Registration charges?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Samuel-II replied 2 years ago.
HelloThis is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regardUpon registration of your vehicle, you will need to pay what Massachusetts imposes as a "personal property tax" That is not a sales tax and so you are not repaying the sales tax again. But because Massachusetts collects a Personal Property tax, it will be collected at the time of registration of your vehicle. Please note that I can only provide information for what you ask. In that regard, if you have other questions or need clarification, please let me know here. Otherwise, I would appreciate a Positive Rating as that is how I get credit for my time.​Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Sam ,

Thanks for your response.Could you explain me about Personal property tax ??Typically how much % they charge ??

Expert:  Samuel-II replied 2 years ago.
HelloThank you.You will need to check with the town/city/municipality as to what the percentage rate isThe tax is calculated by multiplying the assessed value of the property by the personal property tax rate of the city or town. Personal property is assessed separately from real estate.
Expert:  Samuel-II replied 2 years ago.
Here is a LINK from the Dept of Revenue that might be able to help you understand how it is calculated.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hello ,

City-Lowell County:-Middlesex .

Expert:  Samuel-II replied 2 years ago.
I appreciate that information. Here is a LINK for City of Lowell
Expert:  Samuel-II replied 2 years ago.
And this is what it states: Motor Vehicle / Excise TaxesGeneral OverviewUnder Massachusetts General Law (MGL) 60A, all residents who own a motor vehicle must pay an annual excise tax. The tax is generated by the Registry of Motor Vehicles (RMV) who then sends out billing information to the city or town’s assessor. Monies are both collected and deposited into its respective municipality’s general fund by the tax collector’s office.The amount due on an individual vehicle is contingent on the value set by the National Automobile Dealers Association (NADA) with a minimum of $5. The formula used to calculate said amount is based off the manufacturer’s list price and age of the vehicle. To see the chart used by the RMV, click here.According to MGL, excise bills must be mailed out 30 days before the due date, thus providing 30 days for the principal balance to be paid. The tax will be delivered to the same address that appears on the vehicle’s registration. It is the taxpayer’s responsibility to contact their local tax collector if they do not receive their bill. Under MGL Ch.60A Section 2, failure to receive a bill is not a valid reason to waive any fees or interest. Therefore, it is imperative to inform the RMV of any address change.Failure to pay a bill by the due date will result in a demand fee of $30. Further negligence may result in addition fees and interest. In addition, the registered owner will be marked at the RMV, preventing renewal of a license or registration.