How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Attorney
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 6392
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received a citation red light camera at Sunset and

Customer Question

I received a citation for a red light camera at Sunset and Foothill in BH. I missed the court date because a lawyer friend told me to ignore it. Now they've sent a letter saying that I now owe $300 more. Suggestions?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 2 years ago.
Technically, you are on the hook for $300 if you ignore your red-light camera ticket and also "a red flag" associated with your name will exist in the court dealing with your ticket.
However, this is not a binding "failure to appear" that will affect your DMV records. The issue should only come up if later you get an officer-issued traffic ticket that, by chance, sends you to the same exact court that has your red-light camera ticket on file.
Even if that happens, judges most always dismiss the $300 fine, but they will make you plead guilty, no contest, or not guilty to the charge and you may have to fight it at a later date or go to traffic school.
Please remember to assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me for my time. You are free to ask follow-up questions thereafter at no charge. Please allow up to 24 hours for a follow-up response if I am signed off.
If, for some reason, you are not satisfied with the answer, I would appreciate knowing why so that I can try to clear up any misunderstanding that may have taken place and still earn a positive rating from you. If you would rather obtain a refund of your deposit, just let me know and I will inform JA on your behalf. Finally, you may request me in the future by beginning the question with "THIS IS FOR MAVERICK".
Thank you for using Just Answer

Related Traffic Law Questions