Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years experience as a civil trial and appellate lawyer
16823287

I received a citation red light camera at Sunset and

Customer Question

I received a citation for a red light camera at Sunset and Foothill in BH. I missed the court date because a lawyer friend told me to ignore it. Now they've sent a letter saying that I now owe $300 more. Suggestions?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 2 years ago.
Technically, you are on the hook for $300 if you ignore your red-light camera ticket and also "a red flag" associated with your name will exist in the court dealing with your ticket.
However, this is not a binding "failure to appear" that will affect your DMV records. The issue should only come up if later you get an officer-issued traffic ticket that, by chance, sends you to the same exact court that has your red-light camera ticket on file.
Even if that happens, judges most always dismiss the $300 fine, but they will make you plead guilty, no contest, or not guilty to the charge and you may have to fight it at a later date or go to traffic school.
Please remember to assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me for my time. You are free to ask follow-up questions thereafter at no charge. Please allow up to 24 hours for a follow-up response if I am signed off.
If, for some reason, you are not satisfied with the answer, I would appreciate knowing why so that I can try to clear up any misunderstanding that may have taken place and still earn a positive rating from you. If you would rather obtain a refund of your deposit, just let me know and I will inform JA on your behalf. Finally, you may request me in the future by beginning the question with "THIS IS FOR MAVERICK".
Thank you for using Just Answer