Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

Can a police officer sit in the gore lane and use laser for…

Customer Question
can a police officer sit...
can a police officer sit in the gore lane and use laser for speeding
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Traffic Law
6/16/2015
Traffic Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 3 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
We get this type of question frequently. There is no law stating where a police officer can or cannot set up to run radar. A police officer is allowed to run radar anywhere they choose to set up, despite some websites that claim police cannot sit on private property or intersection dividers or hiding behind billboards or signs or trees. There is no state law prohibiting the officer setting up on the median at intersections (known as the gore lane) to run radar I am afraid.
so does that also mean that police officers don't have to follow the same laws as normal people in such cases. the gore lane is normally illegal to cross over or to stop in, does that not apply to them?
Thank you for your reply.
In enforcing the laws, that is correct, the officers are allowed to exercise their discretion in certain areas of the law (not all) as to where they can safely place their vehicles to enforce the speeding laws. It is also illegal for citizens to park on a median, but law enforcement may park there to run radar.