How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Hammer O'Justice Your Own Question
Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Attorney
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 4500
Experience:  10 years of legal experience, including traffic law
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Hammer O'Justice is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was driving in albion county and had one other offense approx.

Customer Question

I was driving in albion county and had one other offense approx. 10 yrs ago. I was going 24 mph over on Saturday 06/06/2015 during the day, he informed me that it would be a $1500 fine and a mandatory court appearance. I am a disability investigator and if this is on my record I will los my job. what do I need to do
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Hammer O'Justice replied 2 years ago.
If I were you, I would call the clerk of court to double check that the offense is one that requires your appearance. Generally, in Illinois, speeding only requires a court appearance if it is 26 mph or over, because that is a Class B misdemeanor as opposed to a simple traffic infraction. It could be a local county requirement or something beyond state law, but it doesn't hurt to check.
In terms of dealing with the ticket itself, since it is something that could cost you your job, I would suggest getting an attorney. Most traffic attorneys will handle a speeding ticket for a flat fee, so it shouldn't be that expensive, and you may end up saving money on the fine anyway to help offset it. Given that you have a pretty good driving record, an attorney should be able to plea bargain this down for a reduction in speed that may not harm your employment. Or, the lawyer can try to negotiate for a dismissal if you take a defensive driving course. There are ways to work out a deal that will keep your employment intact. Generally, a person can go to court and try to work it out on their own, but given that the stakes are higher in your case because of your job situation, it may be worth it to get one to deal with the case for you.