Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

How do I get my car back in MN? My son was pulled over for…

Customer Question
How do I get my...
How do I get my car back in MN? My son was pulled over for a traffic violation - I am unclear what happened next - they have had my car for over a week - no arrest or ticket of my son? they called me a week later (7 days) asking if my son had permission to drive my car, yes. she said they had found "narcotics" and towed my car - that my son had another person in the car - and that is all she would tell me as he is an adult age 22. help!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Traffic Law
6/4/2015
Traffic Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If the car was used in commission of a criminal offense then the only one who can release the car is the DA or the courts, since the use of a car in a drug offense is basis for seizing the car. See: https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/?id=609.531
At this point, you are going to need an attorney to first discuss the release of the vehicle and if the DA insists on seizure of the vehicle under the asset forfeiture laws, you will have to file a petition in the court to get the vehicle released from asset forfeiture.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney