Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years of law and traffic law
10285032

I have a ticket describe charge: " over length truck and trailer comb". w

Customer Question

hello. I have a ticket describe charge: " over length truck and trailer comb". will this stay on my driving record? if yes, can you help me clean it from my record? the ticket was in state of Virginia
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am afraid that there is no law in VA that allows to remove citations from your drivers license record. It is a non-moving equipment violation which does not cause any points to your record, but there is no way to remove it from the record. Did you pay the citation or is it recent and you are planning on going to court and pleading not guilty?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I got it on May 23. I have to pay it till June 22 when is the court day. I am planning to go to court to plead not guilty only if I can clean it from my record cause I do not have anything on my record and I want it clean. What do you recommend if there are no points for it? Just pay the ticket? Thank you
Thank you for your reply.
If you plead not guilty and get it dismissed OR get a plea bargain for a deferred judgment, then it will never go on your driver's license record as only convictions go on your record and have to remain there.
I would suggest, since you want to have your driver's record clear, going to court to try to make a deal for a "deferred adjudication" if you have a clean record, which is a plea agreement where you pay the fine and costs, but if you get no citations in 6 months the DA will dismiss the case and it does not get reported to the DMV so it does not go on your driver's license record.
If you pay the ticket, there are no points, but it does go on your license record.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the answer. Do I need to go with a lawyer in the court or I can go by myself?
Thank you for your reply.
The best deals are usually obtained by those with an attorney, but if you are comfortable begging the prosecutor for a deal yourself you can do so, but that means you have to go back to VA for court to do so, whereas if you use an attorney you do not have to go to court and the attorney can do so for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can I do the same for a violation for speeding 15 miles or more over the speed limit?
Thank you for your reply.
You can plead not guilty and seek a deal on a speeding violation as well, it all depends on the prosecutor as to what deal they will give you regarding the citations and depends on the state where the violation occurred.