Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

I've got the high speed traffic ticket. It's second time in…

Customer Question
I've got the high speed...
I've got the high speed traffic ticket. It's second time in 2-3 years. I increased speed for 5 sec and next 5 sec need to speed down to normal speed. When police appeared after me the speed was normal. Unfortunately I didn't ask to look at radar and I can't understand how he fix my high speed. Is it meaningless to hire the lawyer to this case?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Traffic Law
6/1/2015
Traffic Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, the driver does not have a right to look at the radar in CA. It is up to the officer to testify as to when he spotted you what the radar reading was. Generally, when an officer catches a person speeding it is at a particular point in time when the vehicle goes passed the radar unit, it does not matter you may have slowed down by the time he got behind you to stop you.
You should go to court with a lawyer and plead not guilty because in 99% of these cases at the very least an attorney can get the ticket reduced or get a deferred adjudication (where you pay the fine and then if you get no tickets in 6 months they will dismiss and no points go on your license) and many times if the officer does not show up (which is common) they will get the ticket dismissed.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney