Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

I was driving to park in a DIA (Colorado) parking lot

Customer Question
Hello, I was driving to...
Hello, I was driving to park in a DIA (Colorado) parking lot and struck a pole as I was turning off of the main parking lot roadway toward a row of parking spots. I cut to the inside of the turn lane, and across the turn striking a concrete pillar attached to a stop sign placed in the oncoming traffic lane. No one was injured, no damage was done to anyone's vehicle. The stop sign was bent and my vehicle had fairly major front end damage. I was given a ticket for careless driving. Do you know what the penaties for this offense are and if I will be offered a plea? Would it be worthwhile to consult a local traffic attorney? If so, why?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Traffic Law
5/30/2015
Traffic Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-law replied 3 years ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-law
Hello: This isCustomer I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.
Hello, I was driving to park in a DIA (Colorado) parking lot and struck a pole as I was turning off of the main parking lot roadway toward a row of parking spots. I cut to the inside of the turn lane, and across the turn striking a concrete pillar attached to a stop sign placed in the oncoming traffic lane. No one was injured, no damage was done to anyone's vehicle. The stop sign was bent and my vehicle had fairly major front end damage. I was given a ticket for careless driving. Do you know what the penaties for this offense are
Response 1: Conviction is a class 2 misdemeanor, which would result in 4 points on your record. See Colorado Revised Statutes Title 42 Sections 42-4-1401 and 42-2-127(5)(iv)(e).
and if I will be offered a plea?
Response 2: I do not know whether you would be offered a plea. This is an issue to discuss with a local Attorney who handles traffic issues.
Would it be worthwhile to consult a local traffic attorney? If so, why?
Response 3: Yes it would be worthwhile to consult with a local Attorney because you would need someone who knows the traffic laws and practices in that Court to negotiate with the State's Attorney on your penalty.