How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 118721
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years of law and traffic law
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received my first ticket in CA a left turning durin

Customer Question

I received my first ticket in CA for making a left turning during a time frame when left turns weren't allowed. The location where I was commuting to had no other way of entering this area during rush hour traffic and I didn't notice the sign until after I began making the turn. I sent in a request for a court date and have one scheduled for June 15th. I did not pay any fines yet. Besides showing up for the date and time of my ticket on June 15th, is there anything else that I need to do? Was I supposed to pay the ticket even though I now have a court date?
Also, apparently I have bad luck, but I was holding my phone in my hand (NOT on a call) and got a ticket for not having a hands free dashboard holder. The ticket has been lost, I think it fell out of my purse or something. I don't know how to find the information to pay it. Can you help me with this, too?
Thank you,
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
What you need to do is go to court, plead not guilty and ask for a conference with the prosecutor. Then you need to ask for a deal and tell them you did not see the sign and have no other tickets. In CA when pleading not guilty you are supposed to pay the ticket amount as bond, so you need to contact the clerk of the court about that.
Also, you need to have the clerk check the file for your lost ticket at the same time, so you can get that set too. If you go to court with both tickets and negotiate with the DA, many times they will make a deal to drop one ticket if you pay on the other and many times they will give you the non-moving violation or a deferred sentence where if you get no other tickets in 6 months and pay the fine they will eventually dismiss the citation.
These are your options here and you will have to go to court and ask to conference with the prosecutor to work out a deal.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, thank you. So I should wait to go to court to pay both tickets and work out a deal?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your reply.
You need to go to court on the tickets and make a deal with the prosecutor at that time. Contact the clerk though, because they will make you pay the bond for the not guilty plea before you go to court.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was told by the clerk today that I have an arraignment date scheduled for the 15th, and that I would need to visit the courthouse to pay the bond and then schedule a trial before the 15th, or show up on the 15th and ask to not have to pay bond and then schedule a trial. Which do you recommend?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your reply.
I would suggest that if you want to get this over with quickly that you pay the bond before June 15 and then you can get this matter over with on the June 15 date.