Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

Got a ticket by Camera in Dayton in a thirty five. Can

Customer Question
Got a ticket by Camera...
Got a ticket by Camera in Dayton for 47 in a thirty five. Can they still legally issue camera tickets
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Traffic Law
5/26/2015
Traffic Lawyer: Ely, Attorney replied 3 years ago
Ely, Attorney
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:
(A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. This is repeated in numerous disclaimers throughout the site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my reply while I am typing out my answer.
I am sorry to hear about this situation. Yes, indeed they can. On March 22 and April 2, 2015, the Court upheld the photo enforcement program as legal in Dayton, Ohio.
Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.
Gentle Reminder: Please, use the REPLY or SEND button to keep chatting, or rate positively and SUBMIT your rating when we are finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating.
You did not have to open a new question, so I closed that one as a duplicate and have simply reposted the follow up here:
My understanding is a Municipal Judge in Toledo over turned a state law requiring that a police officer be present when the traffic violation occurs. How does a Municipal Judge from one Municipality rule over Dayton municipality
See here. The Court essentially leaves the municipalities to handle this issue on a municipality by municipality basis (although the court mostly focuses on administrative proceedings).
As for directly answering your follow up:
A court order in one municipality is not binding on another municipality - it is simply influential. If it was the county court that did this, then any municipality under that county would be bound by the order. However, because this is a municipal order, it has no binding effect on another municipality.
So even if it is held illicit in some municipalities, Dayton still has said cameras because no municipal court in Dayton or Montgomery County has ruled this to be unlawful.