Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

Traffic Law

I just bought a used 2007 Ford Explorer. A friend took a look

Customer Question
I just bought a used...
I just bought a used 2007 Ford Explorer. A friend took a look at the under side of the front end and told me that the frame had been bent and that it was pulled out and welded back together. This information was not disclosed to me at the time of sale. They did tell me that it had been in an accident but that was it.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Traffic Law
5/18/2015
Traffic Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.
The default rule is that the sale of a used car is as-is, and the seller is not required to disclose any problems with it. If they told you about the accident, that is more than they are required to do. The only rule is that they can't lie. So they can't say, "There's no frame damage" if there was. That's misrepresentation, which can be grounds to void the sale. Otherwise, it's up to the buyer to have a mechanic look at the car before agreeing to the sale.
There are a couple of Maine laws that could help someone in your situation. First, the car has to be able to meet inspection standards, and the sticker on it has to be within 60 days. If you take the car to get it inspected and it fails, then you can force the seller to fix it for you at no charge. But note that they don't have to accept the car back and give you a full refund.
The only time they might have to take the car back give you a refund is if the car did not come with a "Used Car Information Act Window Sticker." In that case, the entire sale is not a valid transaction.
Here is more information on a consumer's rights when purchasing a new vehicle.
http://www.maine.gov/tools/whatsnew/attach.php?id=27927&an=1
If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer