CriminalDefense
CriminalDefense, Attorney
Experience:  10 + years in Traffic Ticket Defense, DUI/DWI and Criminal Defense cases
9540344

My son bought a 2008 Chrysler Seabring the day he drove it home from t

Customer Question

My son bought a 2008 Chrysler Seabring the day he drove it home from the dealer
two or three lights came on to indicate a problem. One was the check engine light.
And two others. the dealer side bring in the car on Monday they will fix it.
45 days later the engine went out. no fault of my son. the dealer called me and said we have a failed engine.that took two weeks to fix. Now the transmission will not get out of first gear. So we towed it in to the dealer. Two weeks have past again and they tell me they don't know what is wrong, we asked them to just give us another car, and they said we would rather not do that. My son has no transportation he lost his job at Fleming restaurant. And has missed two weeks of school. What can I do?
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  CriminalDefense replied 2 years ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.
Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. When he bought the car, what type of warranty was given? I am asking because if they told him to bring it back and they will fix it, I am inclined to believe that it was not sold "as is"
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
30 day or 1,000 mile witch ever came first.
We also had to put in the deal $456.00 dollars for the used engine.
They replaced with the failed one.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What can I do I need a response.
Thank you for the additional information and sorry about the delay. If there was a warranty provided by the dealer, they would need to honor and comply with it. As such, if these problems occurred during the 30 days or 1000 miles, they would have to continue to fix the problem, even after that time period, if it still existed and was never corrected. Moreover, if they needed to replace the engine with a working one and the one they used failed, they would also have to correctly install one that is fully functioning. With that being said, if they are unable to fix the problem, they would need to refund his money or give him another car, of equal or greater value. They are allowed to fix the problem within a reasonable time but after 3+ returns to the shop for the same problem and they lack the ability to correct it, he could have grounds to take action. If they refuse to remedy the situation and work this out with him, he would have to sue them for the breach and could go after them for damages and/or the cost to correct it from a proper shop. This may be a case where they are trying to cut cost but if they are continuing to fail, they need to resolve it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank You
After talking to them they replaced the car with another one of equal value.
It was a bit of arm wrestling but as soon as I mentioned it has now become a safety issue,
and If they wanted to take on that responsibility should anything happen. I would not hesitate to take them to court.
My son today is driving another car.
Thanks for your help.
All The Best
Paul Zamucen
You are welcome and I am glad it worked out. If you have not already, please rate my help at this time, so I can get credit for my efforts. Thank you again.