Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

Traffic Law

Punishment the scene of the accident because other

Customer Question
Punishment for leaving the scene...
Punishment for leaving the scene of the accident because other driver was belligerent and feared for my safety before I could exchange information. Stopped to assess damage, there did not appear to be any, but other driver claimed 450 dollars.No bodily injury. I was behind the vehicle so of course I was at fault no matter what preexisting scratches were there. I knew he took a picture of my license plate.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Traffic Law
5/11/2015
Traffic Lawyer: SoloLawyer, Attorney replied 2 years ago
SoloLawyer
SoloLawyer, Attorney
Hello and thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to assisting you today. I reviewed the "hit and run" statues for Hawaii and there does not appear to be any criminal penalty for leaving the scene of an accident when there is no bodily injury. There is, however, a $100 fine associated with the offense. I hope this is helpful! If you valued my time, I'd love a positive review. I'll be happy to follow up until you're completely satisfied. Michael
Is it considered a misdemeanor? Are there implications for my driver's license or driving record? Where are you located? Do you think I need an attorney to go to Traffic Court for my citation?
Thank You. The Hawaii Statute (291C-14) does not list as a misdemeanor. There is no mention of a driving license restriction. I'm located in Mississippi. It's hard to say whether you need an attorney or not. If you did indeed leave the scene, you are probably guilty of the offense. However, an attorney may be able to speak to the prosecutor about some type of diversion program, although that may not be available since this does not appear to be a criminal charge. Michael
Unfortunately, my court date is tomorrow. Would you get one?
Would they ever make me do time in jail?
Would it go on my driving summary or driving record? I have a good driving record at present.
There is no jail time associated with this per the statute, so I don't think you have to worry about that. I would not get an attorney if I did not believe I had a defense to it. However, this is not legal advice, so I really can't say "don't get a lawyer". You could def. consult with one over the phone today just to see if it's worth it. Yes, it most likely will go on your driving record. Michael
How long does it stay on there? Do you think I should plead guilty understanding the circumstances with the other driver being belligerent? Any other suggestions? Will the other driver appear in court tomorrow? He really frightens me.
I'm not familiar with how long it stays there. I can't really advise you on an actual legal course of action. I believe I have provided enough info here for you to make that decision. I do not think the other driver will appear in court. They usually don't in these situations. Good luck!
Hi Michael,
Just an update, they didn't even ask for my plea, but they gave me the complaints for a trial. The judge wouldn't even let me speak.
Thank you. What further assistance can I give? Michael
SoloLawyer
SoloLawyer
SoloLawyer, Attorney