Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

Traffic Law

I have been required to go to the city court clerk's office

Customer Question
to set a court date...
I have been required to go to the city court clerk's office to set a court date for "Running a red light" and "Hit and run attended vehicle". I never received a written citation from the officers when they detained me on the violation date. What should I expect?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Traffic Law
5/7/2015
Traffic Lawyer: SoloLawyer, Attorney replied 2 years ago
SoloLawyer
SoloLawyer, Attorney
Hello and thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to assisting you today.
Are you asking about the court process itself? Or what the possible punishment might be? Or something else?
Thanks,
Michael
Why am I being required to personally go to the clerk's office and not have it set over the phone? Do I need to expect arrest at that time? Officers detained me for suspicion of DUI, but I was never charged or taken to jail. They had the opportunity and didn't. I have never been charged, arrested, or convicted of the two cited violations and they never brought up DUI charges.
It's impossible for me to know why they are having you go in person. I would find it extremely odd if you were arrested at that date. It may be too serve you a copy of the citations since you never receive them before. I would certainly speak to a local criminal defense attorney before you do anything.
Ely, Attorney