Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

Traffic Law

Can you in NYS keep your plates if the vechilce is in storage

Customer Question
on your property our insurance...
Can you in NYS keep your plates if the vechilce is in storage on your property our insurance company doesn't require proof of surrender and my Husband dropped the insurance before he surrender the plates and has since failed to surrender them The vechilce is inoperable and has not been driven
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Traffic Law
5/6/2015
Traffic Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 2 years ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
For as long as you have your plates, insurance must be maintained or you can face fines and surcharges and can also have your license suspended. So even though it is inoperable, NY Law requires the plates be surrendered before you cancel the insurance (regardless of whether or not your insurance does not ask for proof of surrender). See: http://dmv.ny.gov/registration/surrender-vehicle-plates-dmv
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney