How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 29981
Experience:  Lawyer. Former judicial law clerk. Worked for District Attorney's Office in Traffic Court.
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My brother is in the hospital and can't make to his traffic

Customer Question

My brother is in the hospital and can't make to his traffic court for driving without a license .tomorrow.
should i call the courthouse? were in Alaska
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Hi,I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.The best thing would be if your brother could either call the courthouse personally or call the public defender's office and ask one of their lawyers to appear in court for him, if he is awake and able to do so. The courthouse may not be willing to extend the court date at your request, even if you can produce documentation of your brother's condition.It would be better to call today and see what you can do to help or if your brother has to have a lawyer call them (it's possible they won't do anything). You could also try calling the public defender's office for him. Another option is to hire a local attorney to show up, but if you pay the lawyer without your brother promising to repay you in advance, you may have trouble getting the money back from him later (legally, it would be considered a gift unless he promised to repay the money). So keep that in mind. If the court won't extend the date based on your documentation and you can't find an attorney on short notice, what will happen is that the judge will enter a failure to appear with a warrant. When he's out of the hospital he can schedule a court date, take in the hospital records, ask the judge to recall the warrant, and see if any failure to appear charges can be dismissed. If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply without rating so I may address them. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively to redirect a portion of the payment you have already made so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.