How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CriminalDefense Your Own Question
CriminalDefense, Attorney
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 27591
Experience:  10 + years in Traffic Ticket Defense, DUI/DWI and Criminal Defense cases
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
CriminalDefense is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received a ticket in South Carolina and I am from North Carolina.

Customer Question

I received a ticket in South Carolina and I am from North Carolina. The ticket says I was doing 71 in a 35. The officer said he wont accept a defensive driving course. I was wondering if I took one in South Carolina the is approved by their DMV and took it with me on my court date to see if the judge will accept it. If not does South Carolina have a Prayer for Judgment? If not what can I do to get it reduced? What can I do to make sure that North Carolina does not suspend my license? I don't have any points on my license. I do have two improper equipment but they were in two different cars. One begin date was begin date 10-18-2012 and end date was 11-26-2012 and the other was begin date 11-06-2013 and end date 1-13-2014.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  CriminalDefense replied 2 years ago.
Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. In South Carolina, any driver who has accumulated points may have the points reduced by four if he or she completes the National Safety Council’s Defensive Driving Course or its equivalent. However, the eight-hour course must be taken in South Carolina and points may only be reduced once in a three-year period. If you take the Defensive Driving Course because your license is in danger of being suspended, you must complete the course before the suspension begins. Once the suspension begins, the point reduction will not cancel the suspension.If you concern is about a suspension in NC as a result of this and/or trying to get it reduced in SC, it is certainly in your best interest to retain a traffic ticket defense attorney to represent your legal interest. The first thing which they will want to do, is review the face of the citation and see if there is a legal basis to get it dismissed. If not, they will then have to look over the facts of the case and decide if it is in your best interest to work out a plea deal or to take the case to trial and make the State prove the allegation(s) against you. The officer will need to be present. If he/she fails to appear at trial, the case will likely be dismissed, unless a continuance is granted by the Judge, upon the showing of good cause. If the officer does appear, your attorney will be given a chance to cross examine them and attack their credibility. The attorney is going to want to inspect their documents and log book, to make sure that the speed measuring device was properly calibrated, that they have the citation logged and are certified to use the equipment. Moreover, they will question them about their training and experience, trying to create doubt that they may have not known what they were doing and improperly measured your speed. They will also raise any other possible defenses, which you may have, to try and obtain a finding of not guilty.
Expert:  CriminalDefense replied 2 years ago.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!