How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 116701
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years of law and traffic law
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

City of Portland, Circuit Court Multnomah County, "Parking

This answer was rated:

City of Portland, Circuit Court Multnomah County, "Parking Violation" Violation of 16.20.120(L), Failure to Display Current Registration (91 or more days), Amount Due: $140.00

Guilty - forgot to put the tags on, but I did pay for my tags, and I put them on right away after receiving this, but this fine seems abusive, I believe it of should of been a warning.

Can I challange the "fine", how would I approach that? How would I look up if there is a presedent for dismissal, how should I approach this? Can I file a complaint against the abusive nature of this kind of citation? Should I contest it with a letter, or request a hearing, either way I have to pre-pay this.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If you did not have the current tags displayed, you can plead not guilty and seek a hearing, but they do not have to give a warning for violations. You can seek to go to the hearings office and provide proof the tags were current at the time, just not on the car. I would request a hearing, because letter responses are usually not successful.

As far as the abusive nature or excessive fines, those are set by your government and you have to complain to your elected officials for that.

You have a good chance of getting the fine reduced by the hearing officer upon proof that your registration was indeed current at the time of the citation, which is going to be your best chance on this if there are no defects with the citation that you can use to get it dismissed completely.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

This is NOT the practice of law nor is it legal advice to you, it is merely educational information for you to use to seek out a licensed attorney in your state to get actual legal advice from them. Please use sites such as or or to find a local attorney to get actual legal advice in all matters.
Law Educator, Esq. and 5 other Traffic Law Specialists are ready to help you