Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Criminal Defense Attorney
Experience:  18+ years of high-volume criminal defense work from arraignment through plea or trial.
18321761

On a bicycle, passing a street closed off with traffic cones,

On a bicycle, passing a street closed off with traffic cones, i went thru the red light thinking it had no function (the cross street both ways was closed). I got a citation 1111-D1. This is NYC, the tix says the fine is $278!!! Is this possible?? I was on a non-motorized bicycle...Citibike.
Thank you

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a NYS lawyer.

The fines for this subsection range fron $75 to $225, exclusive of court surcharges. So a total of $278 is quite possible. Keep in mind that the City makes a great deal of money from traffic infractions, but that doesn't mean you have to roll over for it. There's some latitude in the fine.

Contest the ticket on the basis that the streets were closed off. If you can't get the case dismissed, you may be able to get the fine reduced. Or, the police officer may not show. That will get you an adjournment but if it happens 3 times, the case can be tosseed.