How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 118112
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years of law and traffic law
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received a traffic ticket/summons in New York ( Plains)

This answer was rated:

I received a traffic ticket/summons in New York (White Plains) yesterday for "disobeyed traffic control device/no crossing" It has a "mail in or return in person by" date and to plead guilty or not guilty but no actual fine. What is the standard chain of events here?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

You have to call the clerk of court for the actual fine on this citation to be exact, but the approximate fine and costs are $235 plus 2 points on your drivers license.

The standard chain is you would send in a plea of not guilty and appear in court and then try to negotiate a deal with the prosecutor to reduce the fine or hopefully the officer will not show up in court and you can seek to have the case dismissed. It depends on if you have time to go to court on the hearing date and if you are comfortable negotiating a deal with the prosecutor.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I was walking - I crossed the street. You're saying that's points on my driver's license?

Thank you for clarifying what happened to you.

If they wrote you for NY Veh and Traffic Code 110A, which is disobeying a traffic control device/no crossing, it carries a 2 point license penalty. However, if they wrote this as a pedestrian crossing against signal, under Section 1111, then this is a different story. The fine under 1111 is approximately $80 and no points on your license, but you need to still verify the fine and costs with the clerk if you are going to mail in your fine with a guilty plea.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Seems I was given 1110A - how can i get points when I was a pedestrian crossing the street doesn't make sense.

Is 1110A not a car-only code? Is it fightable?

Thank you for your response.

Yes, you can fight this as a pedestrian to get it dropped down to the 1111 violation and you should because the 1110A is a moving violation and the fine is minimum $150 and 2 points on your license, if you go to court they will drop it.
Law Educator, Esq. and 2 other Traffic Law Specialists are ready to help you