Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

Hello my question is does LA Highway patrol have the right

Hello my question is does LA Highway patrol have the right to place a 30 day hold on a vehicle that was involved in an accident when the owner of the vehicle was not driving at the time of the accident and has full coverage insurance and a valid DL. The person driving her car that was in the accident was not licensed or insured.
Hello: This is PhillipsEsq. I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.

Response: Yes. California Vehicle Code Section 14602.6 gives the Highway Patrol the authority. What controls is the action of the driver and not the action of the owner of the vehicle. If the driver is not licensed at the time of the accident, pursuant to Vehicle Code Section 14602.6, the vehicle can be impounded for 30 days by the Highway Patrol. However, the registered and legal owner of the vehicle would be given opportunity for “storage hearing” to state the reason why the vehicle should not be impounded. For more information, click here.