How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thelawman2 Your Own Question
Thelawman2, Lawyer
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 1612
Experience:  Attorney-at-Law
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Thelawman2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I work as a consultant and travel and would like to keep separate

This answer was rated:

I work as a consultant and travel and would like to keep separate vehicles in separate states. Will Colorado or Texas allow me to register a vehicle if my license is in a different state/

Thelawman2 :

This is directly from the Texas Administrative Code:

Thelawman2 :

Texas law does not require the license of the driver and the registration of the vehicle to be from the same state. Hence, residents of Texas may legally operate vehicles registered properly in other states; and nonresidents properly licensed in their home states may legally operate a Texas registered vehicle.


Do they require a VIN check....basically I own a bike in England I intend to eventually bring here, but was wondering if I could get plates before importing it

Thelawman2 :

So it's a foreign vehicle?


yes sir


I'm trying to kill two birds with one stone

Thelawman2 :

Here is the process for registering and titling a foreign vehicle:

Thelawman2 :

The vehicle must meet all federal and state importation requirements prior to titling and/or registering the vehicle in Texas.

Step 1: Properly import your vehicle

Your vehicle must meet the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) established by theNational Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA).

More information concerning customs matters is available from U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

Step 2: Obtain a VIN inspection

Your vehicle must pass a Texas vehicle safety inspection and a visual verification of the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). You can have your vehicle inspected at any Texas-certified Safety Inspection Station.

The vehicle must be also inspected by one of the following law enforcement agencies:

  • Municipal Police Auto Theft Unit

  • County Sheriff's Department Auto Theft Unit

  • Federal Bureau of Investigation

  • Department of Public Safety Motor Vehicle Theft Services

  • The National Insurance Crime Bureau (NICB) Vehicle Theft Investigators

Step 3: Apply for Texas title/registration

After your vehicle passes customs, federal and state inspection, take the following forms, along with proof of insurance, to your county tax office:

  • U.S. Department of Transportation Form HS-7

  • If the imported vehicle is under bond, an original bond release letter from the U.S. Department of Transportation

  • Vehicle Identification Certificate (DPS Form VI-30-A), completed by a Safety Inspection Station

  • The inspection report on the bottom of Form VTR-68-A completed by a law enforcement agency's auto theft unit. Note: U.S. military personnel, including immediate family members, returning to Texas military bases are not required to submit a completed form VTR-68-A. Please refer to our Military Packet for more information.

    Military Packet

  • A completed Form 130-U

    130-U Application for Texas Certificate of Title

  • Provide the vehicle's odometer reading if it is less than 10 years old.

  • Present the ownership document. You must provide a certified English translation of any document printed in any language other than English.


Perfect...exactly what I need...thanks

Thelawman2 and 2 other Traffic Law Specialists are ready to help you