LawTalk, Attorney
Experience:  I have 30 years experience in the practice of law, including representation of clients in Traffic Court.
15277592

I have a speeding ticket from NY 83 on 65 mph. I have a PA

I have a speeding ticket from NY 83 on 65 mph. I have a PA license. How much would be usual fine and will this affect my insurance premiums?

Good afternoon,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

First the good news----Under PA law, though PA is a member of the Driver's License Compact, and both receives reports, and gives reports to other states of violations of motor vehicle laws, although reported to PennDOT by other states when you get a ticket there, minor traffic offenses such as speeding, red light, stop sign, etc., will not appear on your driving record, unless you are a Commercial Driver's License holder. Here is a link to a PA site that confirms what I have explained:

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/fact_sheets/fs-dlc.pdf

Also, as it does not appear on your PA record, it will have no effect on your insurance premium.

Your fine under NY law will be a court surcharge of $80.00 and a fine for the speeding of no more than $300.00 when your speed is between 11 and 30 MPH over the limit. Based on the fact that you were only 18 over the limit, and the fine for 10 over is $150.00, I would expect that you will receive a fine of approximately $200.00, plus the court surcharge. The surcharge is paid whether you appear in court or not, and is used to fund the operation of the courts.

Please keep in mind that, even though you have already paid your deposit money over to JustAnswer, until you rate me highly for my service, I will not be paid for having assisted you with your questions.

If you have additional questions, you may reply back to me using the Reply to Expert link and I will be happy to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.

I wish you the best in your future.

Doug

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello, thanks for your immediate response. I am happy that it wouldn't show up in my PA license records.

I have another question.
Should I plead guilty and pay the fine or is there chance fine amount reduced if I plead not guilty?

Would it help reduce the fine if I appear in person, I think the technical term would be "bargain"?? or can I call and check to bargain.

Thanks in advance.

Good afternoon,

The fine schedule is pretty much going to be what it is. Unless you have some fact in mitigation of your speeding---such as you were on the way to a hospital and you are a physician----then you might as well just plead guilty, and avoid the possible hours in court waiting for your case to be called in the hopes of maybe saving $50.

It is typically not worth the hassle to go to court in the hope that you will pay less, and because the fine is at the discretion of the court, if the judge is in a bad mood---well I've seen it happen before.

So, if it were me, or my family member, I'd just pay the fine and be done with it---that is what I have always done when I get caught speeding.

Thank you for your kind words. They are appreciated.Please keep in mind that even though you have already paid your deposit money over to JustAnswer, until you rate me highly for my service, I will not be paid for having assisted you with your questions.

Thanks again.

Have a great day,

Doug

Thank you for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope than you will ask for me on JustAnswer should a future need ever arise. I am generally available at least 6 days a week, and often 7, and it would be my privilege to assist you again in the future.

Please feel free to bookmark the following link so you can request me to answer any future legal questions you may have, or simply ask for me by name in the first sentence of your new question:
http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-lawtalk/

Thanks again.

Doug

When you receive your Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please do rate me highly (9-10) there as well. It would be tremendously appreciated.