Alexia Esq.
Alexia Esq., Managing Attorney
Experience:  19+ years of Legal Practice in Traffic law field.
10805288

My son hasnt had a ticket of any kind in 8 years and he just

My son hasn't had a ticket of any kind in 8 years and he just got one last wk doing 85 in a 65 on the Mass Pike. He was speeding, but is there any reason to request a court hearing due to his spotless record?
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I thank you for your inquiry. I have been practicing Traffic law for 19+ years and look forward to assisting you. I am working on your answer and will post it shortly. Thank you for your patience.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

A delivery just came to my door that I need to deal with so I will be cak in 10 minutes

Your question:

If he does not believe he can get this reduced, or dismissed, there is likely not much benefit to heading to court. However, if he agrees he was going 10 over, but not convinced on 20 over, he may be able to get this reduced by contacting the clerk (depending on the clerk). That will save him on the fine amount. As his first speeding ticket, he shouldn't be getting surcharged via insurance, which is good. But, a second he will get nailed, so there is a 'potential' benefit to NOT getting a surchargeble event on his record NOW, so that another one will not count as a second, but only a first. However, as noted above, people do not tend to convince the court they weren't speeding, unless they have some great evidence to back that up. So, again, he may save money by trying to get the SPEED amount reduced, but since he won't be surcharged for his first ticket, there is nothing to be gained then on that front.

I hope this helps! My goal is to provide you with excellent and accurate service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me "excellent" when you are done. I look forward to assisting you in the future, should you have legal questions.

Sincerely,

Alexia Esq.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your answer. I am less concerned about the fine amount and more about the surchargeble event and his insurance rates. Since you don't believe this will be a surchargeble event and his insurance rates shouldn't rise do to this one speeding ticket, I will instruct him to pay the fine and not get another ticket. How long must he go before this ticket would come off his record so another ticket would be considered his first surchargeble event? Thanks.

Thank you for your answer. I am less concerned about the fine amount and more about the surchargeble event and his insurance rates. I agree.

Since you don't believe this will be a surchargeble event It is surchargeable and will be on his record, but it sounds like given his record the 2 points will not be assessed him. However, he will no longer be event free, which may have provided him an excellent driver discount off of the regular insurance rate. In other words, he may be moved to the regular rate, not the discounted rate, and that means higher premiums. He just wont get wacked the 2 points rate.

See here: http://sullivanif.com/index.aspx?sid=31485&tp=0&cd=1000&mid=131210&ds=MA-SDIP-Points

and his insurance rates shouldn't rise do to this one speeding ticket, I agree he won't get the 2 points assessed, but see above, I believe he will lose an excellent driver discount IF he had it - he can find out from his carrier.

I will instruct him to pay the fine and not get another ticket. You may want to first find out what, if any change will occur to his premium by LOSING a discount, IF he enjoyed that discount.

How long must he go before this ticket would come off his record so another ticket would be considered his first surchargeble event? Thanks.
1 point goes off after 3 clean years. But again, I don't see him getting the 2 points this time. He will have an 'event' on him though. 2 more in a 3 year period means loss of license.