How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CriminalDefense Your Own Question
CriminalDefense, Attorney
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 28375
Experience:  10 + years in Traffic Ticket Defense, DUI/DWI and Criminal Defense cases
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
CriminalDefense is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son got a speeding ticket in Racine county for doing 92mph

This answer was rated:

My son got a speeding ticket in Racine county for doing 92mph in 65mph zone. He has an Illinois drivers license with clean record. He is 18.5 years old. The fine is $301.30 and estimated points is 6. He can't deny he was speeding and although questions the 92mph, the police have it on radar. Should he just pay the fine or is it worth it to hire an attorney to try and get fine reduced and/or point reduction? How does it work with points in this case when he has an out of state license? Thank you.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. It is certainly in his interest to retain a traffic ticket defense attorney to represent his legal interest. The first thing which they will want to do, is review the face of the citation and see if there is a legal basis to get it dismissed. If not, they will then have to look over the facts of the case and decide if it is in his best interest to work out a plea deal or to take the case to trial and make the State prove the allegation against him. The officer will need to be present. If he/she fails to appear at trial, the case will likely be dismissed, unless a continuance is granted by the Judge, upon the showing of good cause. If the officer does appear, the attorney will be given a chance to cross examine them and attack their credibility. The attorney is going to want to inspect their documents and log book, to make sure that the speed measuring device was properly calibrated, that they have the citation logged and are certified to use the equipment. Moreover, they will question them about their training and experience, trying to create doubt that they may have not known what they were doing and improperly measured your speed. They will also raise any other possible defenses, which you may have, to try and obtain a finding of not guilty.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provide
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

This is an out of state ticket for him and hiring an attorney and/or showing up for a court appearance will cost additional money and time off of his job for travel. From what my son indicated to me, he can't deny he may have been doing over 90mph. I don't see much of a possibility with discrediting the officer and assume he will be present. Do you think it's worth the time, effort and extra cost?

If he retains an attorney, the attorney will likely be able to appear on his behalf and waive his appearance, so he will not need to travel or miss work. It is possible that this would appear on his record and could have a negative effect on his insurance. If there is no dispute about the speeding, then he chance of winning is to discredit the officer. If he has doubts, then it may not be worth hiring an attorney and may want to consider paying the fine. If he were to lose to case, he would have incurred not only a fine and court costs which could be around the same but the attorney fee as well.
CriminalDefense and 3 other Traffic Law Specialists are ready to help you