How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 118147
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years of law and traffic law
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was found guilty of a traffic violation ("unsafe passing

This answer was rated:

I was found guilty of a traffic violation ("unsafe passing on right"), and would like to know what I'm able to do next? Do I file a Notice of Appeal now? What do I do to get a new trial (trial de novo)?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you again.

Your next step is you must file a notice of appeal in the municipal court within 20 days of the docket entry. See: Wis. Stat. § 800.14(1).

You can request a trial if you had a trial in the municipal court and lost. See: Wis. Stat. § 800.14(4). Once you file this notice of appeal and you file your appeal asking for a new trial, the Circuit court must conduct a trial and cannot send it back to the municipal court.

Thank you so much for using I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Just to make sure, a traffic citation in Wisconsin is heard in a municipal court? I'm only familiar with Illinois procedure, and it all seems completely different.

Thank you for your response.

Yes, generally traffic cases are heard in the municipal courts in WI. If you had a trial and were found guilty then you should have appeared in the municipal court. If you never had a trial, which is what I said above, and were found guilty based on a failure to appear, then you cannot request a new trial under WI law and if you do so improperly and do not just ask for a review of the transcript the Circuit court would deny your new trial and you would lose any further appeal rights. WI is very specific about you having to have had an actual trial in the court below before you can ask for a new trial as part of your appeal right in the Circuit Court.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I did have a trial and was found guilty. So I have 20 days from the day of trial to file a notice of appeal? Will the Appellate Court provide a deadline to file my appeal brief?

Thank you for your response.

The circuit court would have the case not the appellate court and you are asking for a new trial by your petition so no brief, you would be set to present your case from scratch to the circuit court.
Law Educator, Esq. and 4 other Traffic Law Specialists are ready to help you