joelaws8
joelaws8, Attorney
Experience:  I can answer general traffic law questions. Please provide your city, county, and state when asking your questions. Thank you!
63991514

I was issued equipment tickets for a small boat registered

I was issued equipment tickets for a small boat registered in my name
I just a passenger on a boat the officer didn’t see who was driving because we were already off the boat and loading it on the trailer. Are there tickets valid since I wasn’t driving the boat?
Good evening and thank you for the question.

Unfortunately, these tickets are usually written to the owner of the boat. In some cases, they would write it to the driver if the owner is not present. For example, John loaned his boat to Dave. Dave took it out on the water and was stopped by a game warden. The game warden wrote Dave a ticket for not having enough life jackets on board. Had John been there, even as a passenger, he would have received the ticket.

I wish I had better news for you and could tell you that there was an easier solution to the problem. A tough part of being an attorney is being the bearer of bad news. However, if I was to lie to you by telling you that there is an easy "fix" to this problem, I would be doing you a huge disservice in the end.

I hope that answers your question! If so, please positively rate my answer. Experts only receive compensation for answers when the customer rates the answer. Rating my answer will NOT preclude you from asking follow up questions in the future, should any arise. In fact, if you rate my answer, your follow up questions will be my highest priority! If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask!

If you feel the need to click either "Bad service" or "Poor service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be very happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek at no additional charge.

Thank you very much,
Joe
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

How serious are boat equipment tickets,

like, no horn, no flag

What is the worse that could happen if I don’t pay them

If left unpaid can end up in some serious fines, fees, and headaches. If you don't pay them, they won't let you renew your registration until all is paid.

Thank you very much,
Joe