How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CriminalDefense Your Own Question
CriminalDefense, Attorney
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 28021
Experience:  10 + years in Traffic Ticket Defense, DUI/DWI and Criminal Defense cases
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
CriminalDefense is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received a ticket for speeding 20-24 miles over posted limit.

This answer was rated:

I received a ticket for speeding 20-24 miles over posted limit. I have only one speeding ticket on my record that occurred over 20 yrs ago. No other offenses on my record.

The ticked was issued in a construction zone at DIA. There were many, many orange cones, caution tape and signs redirecting traffic into the airport. When I went back to the airport to see how I missed the posted speed limit, I saw only one small speed limit sign; difficult to see because of all the construction activity. The traffic cop was sitting right in the middle of the construction zone, issuing one ticket after another for speeding.

At what point can I ask the DA to discuss reduction of points/fine? The issuing officer crossed out points and fine on the ticket and advised me to talk with the DA and also stated that he was certain that the ticket would be reduced significantly by the DA. But I don't know how/when I can work through that process (?)

Thank you for your guidance on this matter.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. If you are not automatically required to appear in court, you could enter a plea of not guilty and request a court date. At your first appearance, would be the time in which you can speak with the DA and work out a plea deal. The fact that this is your first ticket in 20 years, is certainly a mitigating factor for the court to consider. Moreover, the sign needs to be posted in a conspicuous place. You may want to return to the area and take a photo, showing that the sign was small and possible hidden/difficult to see, based upon the construction activity and you were without knowledge, that the speed was reduced. It would be at the discretion of the DA at that time, to work with you on a plea, to reduce the points/fine. Another option would be to retain the services of a traffic ticket defense attorney. The first thing which they will want to do, is review the face of the citation and see if there is a legal basis to get it dismissed. If not, they will then have to look over the facts of the case and decide if it is in your best interest to work out a plea deal or to take the case to trial and make the State prove the allegation(s) against you. The officer will need to be present. If he/she fails to appear at trial, the case will likely be dismissed, unless a continuance is granted by the Judge, upon the showing of good cause. If the officer does appear, your attorney will be given a chance to cross examine them and attack their credibility. The attorney is going to want to inspect their documents and log book, to make sure that the speed measuring device was properly calibrated, that they have the citation logged and are certified to use the equipment. Moreover, they will question them about their training and experience, trying to create doubt that they may have not known what they were doing and improperly measured your speed. They will also raise any other possible defenses, which you may have, to try and obtain a finding of not guilty.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am required to appear in court tonight. At what point might I have an opportunity to plea bargain with the DA?
When you appear tonight. If you arrive early and you see the DA, you can always ask to speak with them. If that is not an option, you would have to wait until your case is called and you approach the bench and ask the court if there is a plea offer to resolve the case, taking into consideration your clean driving record.
CriminalDefense and 2 other Traffic Law Specialists are ready to help you