How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 118649
Experience:  Attorney with over 24 years of law and traffic law
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A rather rude Police officer pulled me over this morning in

This answer was rated:

A rather rude Police officer pulled me over this morning in Carthage Texas. He asked for my Drivers License and Identification. I asked why I was being pulled over. He said I will tell you when I have your license and insurance. Is that legal. Don't I have a right to know why I am being detained before giving license and information. He came back to the car and said I was speeding, which was not true. I had my car on cruise control.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

I am sorry the officer was rude to you. In cases where an officer has exhibited rude behavior to a citizen, the citizen has a remedy of filing a complaint with the officer's Internal Affairs Division as they handle complaints of inappropriate conduct on behalf of their officers.

As far as telling you why you were stopped. The officer is entitled to ask for your license, registration and proof of insurance immediately upon a stop, since these are required of all drivers regardless of the reason for the stop. The officer has to tell you the reason for the stop eventually, but not immediately upon stopping you. As far as you disputing the violation, the place and time to dispute whether or not you were speeding is not with the officer, which is why most officers will not tell motorists anything and will just issue a citation as they do not want to argue on the street with someone about a violation.

The place to dispute a violation if you had your cruise control set would be in court by pleading not guilty. In order to do this, you need to get your mechanic to check your cruise control to make sure the speed settings are accurate and get a notarized affidavit from the mechanic showing that he performed a test of your cruise control and the speed was indeed accurate as that is part of your evidence in your case and the mechanic would need to come to court to actually testify on the date of trial that the cruise control was accurate.

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Law Educator, Esq. and 2 other Traffic Law Specialists are ready to help you