How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Lawyer
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 33089
Experience:  Former Asst State Attorney/Hearing Officer
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received my first driving ticket on accounts of speeding.

Customer Question

I received my first driving ticket on accounts of speeding. I was 68 on 55. 13 miles over. The state patrol officer scheduled the hearing in Columbia SC. I am a resident of Cary, NC. Is there a possibility of moving the hearing to a closer / in state location? If not, Do I need to find a lawyer authorized to practice law in SC rather than NC?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  Loren replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am JudgeLaw and I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide you excellent service.

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma.   I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

Unfortunately, it is not possible to move a traffic violation from the venue of the issuing police department since the officer is required to testify regarding numerous citations in addition to yours.

Typically, unless your attorney is licensed to practice law in SC, he or she would need leave of the court to represent you in the court. That does not mean leave would not be granted, but it is likely cost prohibitive tomretain an out of state attorney to represent you in a speeding ticket.

If you need assitiance locating any attorney in SC, try Martindale Hubble. Many attorneys themselves use this site to locate attorneys outside their jurisdiction or expertise:

It is a huge worldwide database searchable by location and specialty.

I am sorry. I realize this is not the answer you were hoping for. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I ask that you not penalize me for having to deliver less than favorable news.

It is my privilege to assist you. Let me know if you need further information.  I hope I have helped you beyond your expectations in the service I have provided to you.  I am here for you.

Please remember to rate my answer when our communication is completed so I will be compensated for my time in providing you with the information you requested.

If you feel the need to provide a low rating, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will happily answer your follow-up questions and assist you until I am able to explain the answer to your satisfaction. Please also remember that I cannot control whether the law is favorable to your situation, so please do not penalize me for having to deliver bad news.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Is there a possibility that the punishment for infringement be reduced in case of first time offenders? I understand it is a case by case basis. What I want to know : Is it worth the hassle to find an out of state lawyer and additional expenses if the chance for a reduced punishment is very slim?

Expert:  Loren replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for following up with me.

It is possible that you can receive a disposition which will keep points from being assessed to your license or affecting your insurance rates. However, a single minor speeding ticket from out of state is not likely to have any major impact on either your license or your insurance if you have an otherwise clean record.

Therefore, if you have no other reason to be in the area where the court is located, it may be simpler to just pay the ticket and be done with it.

I hope this is helpful.

Thank you.

Expert:  Loren replied 4 years ago.
Hello Aditya,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going.
Did I answer your question?


Related Traffic Law Questions