How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 37639
Experience:  I have 30 years experience in the practice of law, including representation of clients in Traffic Court.
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

For persons who are residents of California state am looking

Customer Question

For persons who are residents of California state am looking at following requirements for a Drivers License:

Can a person with an overseas Drivers License (from UAE/Dubai) get a California DL without having to go through the learner's permit test followed by the driving test or do both have to be taken?

Aksi what is procedure for person with a Texas drivers license to get a CA DL?

Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Traffic Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 years ago.
Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Under the CA Vehicle Code, and DMV regulations, when a person with a valid foreign driver's license becomes a CA resident, they must apply for a CA driver's license.

All persons applying for a CA license must take the written driver's license test. People with an out of state license---such as from Texas---do not have to take a driving test. However, all persons with drivers licenses from a foreign country do have to take the behind-the-wheel driving test.

Here is a link to the CA DMV site which sets out the requirements for obtaining a CA driver's license. Please refer specifically to the section entitled "How to apply for a driver license if you are over 18 ":

You may reply back to me again, using the Reply to Expert link, if you have additional questions.

I wish you the best in your future,

Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 years ago.
Good evening,

I wanted to thank you for using JustAnswer, and to inquire whether my answer to you was helpful to your understanding of the law, as regards your question.

Is there anything else that I can assist you with, please feel free to ask. If you do not require further legal information at this time, please feel free to bookmark my profile so you can request me when you do have another question. Here is a link to my profile:

Thank you very much and take care.