How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CriminalDefense Your Own Question
CriminalDefense, Attorney
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 28362
Experience:  10 + years in Traffic Ticket Defense, DUI/DWI and Criminal Defense cases
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
CriminalDefense is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i live in north carolina. i got a ticket in wythe county on

This answer was rated:

i live in north carolina. i got a ticket in wythe county on i-77 speeding 80 in a 70 mph zone. what can i do to or plead to that will not give me points on my license and affect my insurance in north carolina? thanks in advance.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. You do have a few options. The first, if you want to try and resolve this with a plea, is to ask the court for an offer to settle this and see if in exchange for the plea, they will agree to amend the charge to a non-moving violation, so that it will not effect your insurance or add points to your license. This would be at the discretion of the court. In addition, you can always ask for PRAYER FOR JUDGMENT CONTINUED. A Prayer for Judgment Continued (PJC) is a finding of guilt without an entry of judgment for a criminal or traffic offense.
A criminal defendant who receives a Prayer for Judgment Continued (PJC) on a traffic citation may receive no Division of Motor Vehicle (DMV) points or insurance points under certain circumstances. However, the charge and outcome will still be visible on the defendant’s driving record. When one uses a Prayer for Judgment Continued, the courts will not asses a fine, although court costs will have to be paid. An individual may use one (1) PJC every three (3) years per household for insurance point purposes, and two (2) Prayer for Judgments every five (5) years for DMV point purposes. The final option is to fight this and if you do, it is certainly in your best interest to retain a traffic ticket defense attorney to represent your legal interest. The first thing which they will want to do, is review the face of the citation and see if there is a legal basis to get it dismissed. If not, they will then have to look over the facts of the case and decide if it is in your best interest to work out a plea deal or to take the case to trial and make the State prove the allegation(s) against you. The officer will need to be present. If he/she fails to appear at trial, the case will likely be dismissed, unless a continuance is granted by the Judge, upon the showing of good cause. If the officer does appear, your attorney will be given a chance to cross examine them and attack their credibility. The attorney is going to want to inspect their documents and log book, to make sure that the speed measuring device was properly calibrated, that they have the citation logged and are certified to use the equipment. Moreover, they will question them about their training and experience, trying to create doubt that they may have not known what they were doing and improperly measured your speed. They will also raise any other possible defenses, which you may have, to try and obtain a finding of not guilty.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
CriminalDefense and other Traffic Law Specialists are ready to help you