Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

Traffic Law

College kid rcvd a ticket in Wake County on April 3rd. School is out and the kid lives in

Florida and is being told...
College kid rcvd a ticket in Wake County on April 3rd. School is out and the kid lives in Florida and is being told he must appear before theJudge on May 21st. What to do?
5/14/2013
Tower Grove Lawyer
Thank you for your question. I will do my best to answer your question. Please note that this does not constitute legal advice as I do not know all the specific facts of your situation. We have not created an attorney-client relationship simply through this communication. Also, please be aware that none of these communications are confidential and are located on a public web site.

First and foremost, your child does NOT want to miss the court date. Doing so could result in a bench warrant for his or her arrest.

One option (and the option that is most likely to resolve the ticket) is to hire a local attorney to appear in court on your child's behalf. This usually does not cost more than a couple hundred dollars and can likely avoid a court appearance. If you are going to hire an attorney, I would do so soon. Calling an attorney the day before the hearing reduces the attorney's chance of working on a favorable deal.

Another option is for your child to to talk with the prosecutor and see if he will agree to amend or reduce the ticket to a lesser offense. Often, prosecutors will agree to amend or reduce the ticket if you agree to plead guilty in order to avoid the expense and hassle of a trial. I would caution, however, that typically the fine amount will remain the same but the conviction will be for a lesser offense. This will limit the number of points he or she will receive and could even potentially prevent this violation from appearing on her driving record.

If the goal is to avoid a court appearance, I would recommend calling the prosecutor as soon as possible. You should note, however, that some judges will require a person to physically appear in court unless they have an attorney.

Please let me know if I can clarify any of my remarks.
Tower Grove Lawyer
Tower Grove Lawyer
Tower Grove Lawyer
Tower Grove Lawyer, Lawyer