How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalEagle1 Your Own Question
LegalEagle1, Attorney
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 795
Experience:  Practicing Criminal and Traffic Attorney for over 22 years.
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
LegalEagle1 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Ive never been to court before...I received a speeding ticket

This answer was rated:

I've never been to court before...I received a speeding ticket in September of 2012 in Lake County going 85 on a 55 (Highway). About 2 weeks ago, I got pulled over on the Skokie Highway going 61 on a 45 (right where it switches from 55 to 45). However, I did safety school back in the winter. How do I go about asking for Court Supervision? I have never been to court before and I do not know the formalities. Do I need a lawyer?
When you say "Lake County," I assume you are referring to Lake County, Illinois. Is the second ticket also in Lake County?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, it is.

How was you last ticket resolved. Usually people attend traffic school as part of court supervision. Did you use the court supervision option on that ticket?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

When I went to pay the ticket, they suggested I just plead guilty and ask for traffic school, which I completed in the Winter.

Thank you for that additional information.

The process you went through for your last ticket is the method that one would take to do Court Supervision. You should confirm with court clerk that what you did on your last ticket was Court Supervision. I am certain it was, but you should check to be 100% certain.

Since it appears you had court supervision for a violation committed within the previous 12 months from the date of the ticket in this case you are not eligible to defer that ticket through court supervision.

You ask if you need a lawyer. I suggest that contact an experienced traffic attorney who practices in Lake County. The will be familiar with the court's policies and can advise you as to what you should expect if you are convicted. They should also be able to advise as what other options you may have. Also many times attorneys are able to persuade the prosecutor to dismiss or amend a ticket to a lesser offense which enables a person to avoid harsher consequences.

I hope that I have answered your question. Please let me know if you have more questions or need more information.

Please rate my answers with a positive rating (three or more stars) as this is the only way I receive credit and compensation for my work. If you have additional questions or need more information, please ask.

My goal is to provide with best assistance that I can. Please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also keep in mind that the law may not always be settled or may not support the position you want. My role is not to tell you what you want to hear. but to provide you accurate information as to what the law provides. Please do not rate me poorly just because the information I have provided does not support the outcome you desire.

You can always request me through my profile at also begin your question with “For LegalEagle1”
Use of this service does not create any attorney client relationship. Information provided is intended to explain general legal principles and assist you in finding an attorney in your area.

Please click "Great" or better to rate service.
LegalEagle1 and other Traffic Law Specialists are ready to help you