Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  Former Asst State Attorney/Hearing Officer
17897874

First offense DWI in Iowa and have suspended drivers license

First offense DWI in Iowa and have suspended drivers license for 30 days. My work requires getting to and from. If I were to get stopped what would be the suggestion on what to say to officer? I believe that my lawyer is appealing but may not know before the possibility of getting stopped. Thoughts?
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am JudgeLaw and I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide you excellent service.

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma.   I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

Unfortunately, there is nothing to say and nothing you should say. If you are stopped while your license is suspended you will be arrested and charged. There is nothing you can say to stop the process. the officer will have to take you into custody.You will want to have enough cash to bond out. Typically, one hundred dollars is enough.

The best thing to do if stopped is to comply politely with any instructions and decline to make any statements without speaking to your attorney first.

I am sorry. I realize this is not the answer you were hoping for. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's position, but accurately reflects their position under the law. I hate it, but it happens and I ask that you not penalize me for having to deliver less than favorable news.

It has been my privilege to assist you. Let me know if you need further assistance.  I hope I have helped you beyond your expectations in the service I have provided to you.  I am here for you.

Please remember to rate my answer when our communication is completed so I will be compensated for my time in providing you with the information you requested.

If you feel the need to provide a low rating, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will happily answer your follow-up questions and assist you until I am able to explain the answer to your satisfaction. Please also remember that I cannot control whether the law is favorable to your situation, so please do not penalize me for having to deliver bad news.

Thank you.

JudgeLaw