Traffic Law

Have Traffic Law Questions? Ask a Traffic Lawyer Online.

Traffic Law

if you get a ticket and you have a cdl and was just pulled

if you get a ticket...
if you get a ticket and you have a cdl and was just pulled over for speeding will you lose your cd liscense liscense. He has a penn l.iscense and needs it for work. (driving home in a car not truck.
4/19/2013
Roger, Attorney

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a litigation attorney. Thanks for your question.

If this is the person's first speeding ticket, it would not result in his license being suspended or taken away.

Under Ohio law, it is a "serious traffic violation" if a CDL driver receives a speeding ticket for 15 mph over the speed limit, but there is no suspension or termination of a license for a first offense. However, in some circumstances, a second serious traffic violation will lead to automatic suspension.

Here's a good link that outlines the offenses and penalties (suspensions and termination of license) under Ohio law: http://ohiomunicipalcourtlaw.com/cdl.asp

HOWEVER, his employer can have more stringent rules, and it may suspend him from driving or penalize him for receiving the citation - - that would be something controlled and administered by his employer - not the state.

what is pensylvanias regulations of having a violation even from another state. ticket in Ohio, pennsylvania license need to know please

Ok. Sorry for any confusion.

In Pennsylvania, the penalties for a speeding ticket with a CDL are the same as with a regular license. Thus, a speeding ticket would not cause a suspension or revocation of your license under the law.

CDL licenses are largely governed by federal law, so the penalties are going to be similar to what we discussed in Ohio. Here's a link to PennDot's website that shows being convicted of multiple "serious offenses" is the only real way to lose a license: http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/fact_sheets/fs-pub7216.pdf

However, Pennsylvania does require a CDL driver to notify his/her employer and PennDOT within 30 days of receiving the ticket (if the ticket is out-of-state).

Roger, Attorney
Roger, Attorney