How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CriminalDefense Your Own Question
CriminalDefense, Attorney
Category: Traffic Law
Satisfied Customers: 27196
Experience:  10 + years in Traffic Ticket Defense, DUI/DWI and Criminal Defense cases
Type Your Traffic Law Question Here...
CriminalDefense is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received a speeding ticket in, 81/70, for reckless

This answer was rated:

I received a speeding ticket in Virginia, 81/70, for reckless driving. I prepaid and the court appearance was waived because I live out of the country and was not able to attend court. I have a North Carolina driver's license and plan to return to the US to live and work someday. I would like to have this misdemeanor removed from my record if possible.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.
Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. The State of Virginia only allows a criminal record to be expunged in certain situations. I have provided those below for your review. As you can see, if you were convicted of the reckless driving and/or the situations below do not apply, the you would not be able to have this expunged and removed from your record. The outcome of the reckless driving charge is what will dictate your ability to do so.
• A defendant in a criminal case who pleads “not guilty” and is then acquitted by a judge or jury.
• A person in a civil action who is charged with contempt of court, but is found not guilty.
• A defendant in a criminal case that the Commonwealth Attorney’s office decides not to prosecute (nolle prosequi) for all charges.
• A defendant charged with assault and battery or other misdemeanor for which the defendant could also be sued in a civil action, if the injured person states in writing s/he has received satisfaction for the injury and the case is dismissed.
• A person whose name or identification has been used without consent or authorization in a criminal case (identity theft).
• A defendant convicted of a crime who later receives an absolute pardon
Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above, prior to rating me. Also, please remember to rate my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two faces/stars on the left, please STOP and reply to me via the "REPLY TO EXPERT or CONTINUE CONVERSATION "button. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.


Thank you for your answer. I guess I'm stuck with it because I paid the fine and didn't appear in court. I don't see any way I can have it expunged now. I'm sure I'll be fine with finding a job and everything. There are worse things than a misdemeanor for speeding. I do know I won't be speeding again, and I'll try to avoid Virginia as long as this ridiculous law is still in effect.

You are welcome. There are certainly worse things to have on your record and as long as the scope of your employment does not involve driving around in a company vehicle, this should not necessarily be something to disqualify you from the position. The longer the amount of time that passes, the better and as long as the employer is able to understand the situation, you should be able to find a job. Please let me know if there is anything else. If not, please remember to rate my help with 3, 4 or 5 faces, so I can get credit for my answer.
CriminalDefense and other Traffic Law Specialists are ready to help you