Tower Grove Lawyer
Tower Grove Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney in traffic and driving issues
72294118

Ohio Traffic Law Question: Is there any law in the state of

Ohio Traffic Law Question:
Is there any law in the state of Ohio that says I can’t have a Nikon Coolpix camera and a cell phone on the dash of my car? Is there any law that says I can’t video anything that I want including police? I don't want to get a ticket for not knowing the law. I am really curious on this. I have a picture of my setup if you need to see it.

Tower Grove Lawyer :

Thank you for your question, and for requesting me. I will do my best to answer your question. Please note that this does not constitute legal advice as I do not know the specific facts of your situation. Rather, this is general guidance designed to be useful in a variety of situations. We have not created an attorney-client relationship simply through this communication. Also, please be aware that none of these communications are confidential and are located on a public web site.

Tower Grove Lawyer :

This is a complicated area of the law, and unfortunately police officers will interpret laws in ways that benefit themselves. Strictly speaking, Ohio does not have a law that prohibits the use of a video recording device in a vehicle, nor does Ohio have a law that prohibits the recording of police officers (some states do). However, there are a couple of restrictions. First, the recording can only take place in a public place where there is no reasonable expectation of privacy. This would include most roadways. Second, the video recording cannot interfere with the performance of the police officer's job duties. This could only be an issue if you position your vehicle to record police in such a way that it could interfere with a police investigation. I imagine this is just for your own personal use and that is not an issue. Your setup should be completely legal under Ohio law.

Tower Grove Lawyer :

Please let me know if there anything else I can help you with. If not, and you were pleased with my service, I would appreciate if you could approve my answer and give me a positive rating.

Customer:

I got nothing from you. Try again.

Perhaps this format will work better. A lot of users have reported problems with chat mode.